Sunday, January 25, 2015

Down to business at Ilula.


We are at Ilula tonight, we being Moody, Rachel Strykowski, Kristi Hembre and me.  The big group is suffering in some out of the way place away from civilization, among wild animals and such.  Mwagusi in Ruaha National Park, I believe.  I have heard there are lions and leopards and elephants, oh my!  The group is probably pretty scared by now, wishing they could be with us.  You may have guessed.  We sent them there as punishment.

Anna, our caterer cooked us some great soup and chapattis and sliced papaya and pineapple.  She will cook for Saga’s wedding too.  About 200 guests and 50 chickens to feed us all, not to mention sides and other courses.  It’s gonna be a hot time in the old town tonight, tonight being metaphor for the 7th of February.

I am looking forward to being on rounds tomorrow.  That's the "getting down to business" part.  What is so familiar to our Tanzanian colleagues is unfamiliar and alarming to us on so many levels. Who knows what we'll see?  Some predicable, some not.  What can we help with?  What should we simple accept  - for now?  What do our colleagues most want our help with?  We want to challenge them, not overwhelm them.  I need to personally not respond to my own sense of being overwhelmed by trying to force unwelcome change.  Patience, Dr. Babu!  

There are four Swedish nursing students here for a bit longer than we are.  By our standards they do not have supervision or guidance – sort of a sink or swim deal.  We invited them to the conference, which was a highlight for them.  They said they learned a lot, especially about HIV/AIDS and TB.  I invited them to go on rounds with us tomorrow.  Although they are tired of shadowing, I think this will be an improved experience for them.  On Tuesday, they will make a foray into Iringa and try to arrange a safari that will fit into their budget.  Although it is perhaps a choice, since they will be staying in Zanzibar for two weeks.  “TWO WEEKS!” I exclaimed, a little jealous because I found our two nights there in 2008 at least a night too short to see and do all I had hoped.

Before going to Mama Iringa’s for late lunch of pizza, all of us went to church at the Cathedral.  At different services.  Why?  I went with Trish and Roger to the 7 AM service, determined to be the most likely service to let out at the prescribed time. It was done a few minutes to 9 AM.  Next, the 9 AM service was next most likely get out on time and had the feature of the Gustavus students singing.  That was a harder choice to make.  The featured highlight of the 11 AM service was the installation of a pastor.  It lasted until 2:30.  Whew!  I was glad I missed that one. 

The four of us visited with Anna and Esther after the excellent dinner they had served us, a real rarity.  Invited often, they almost always refuse, perhaps intimidated by the big Wazungu group.   Dr. Saga stopped by to greet us and talk briefly to Anna about the wedding.  The Swedish girls came by to collect some info on safaris.    Now it is quiet and I am off to bed.

But here I am again at 4 AM, tired of tossing and turning for the last hour.  Dropped off to sleep immediately, but awoke with a million things on my mind.  And hungry too.  I can wait a couple hours to eat, although the Lindt Dark-Orange-Almond candy bar staring at me from the table in front of me is tempting.  Oh, I’ll just have a little tiny piece….  If I remember correctly, it is Anne that is the chocolate fiend (as I am).

After a little pressure from me, prompted by a price hike for our lodging, the hospital has spiffed up our places.  Most of the toilets work better than they have since I have been coming here.  Snazzy new curtains adorn the windows deodorizer cakes hung in the bathrooms, and the kitchens are all cleaned up too.  And last, but not least, the water works!  I will make a careful inspection later, but only for glaring defects.

That’s the news from Mount Selebu.  Assuming the safari group returns unscathed, I am guessing they will have tales to tell, with tails.
- Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment