Monday, January 19, 2015

Linda 1/18/2015 The Disease Hiding in Plain Sight



We have been here a bit over a week now.  I feel as though I am finding my way around and able to contribute to the health and well-being of the patients.

Last night, we had dinner with the hospital management team.  It was interesting to hear how the relationship with Ilula hospital developed.  Randy, Gary, John and Ken don't just "talk the talk" but also "walk the walk"  They work tirelessly to continue the relationships that are built here as well as improve patient care and provide sustainable economic development.

I have seen my first ever cases of Kwashiorkor (protein deficiency and Marasmus (protein and calorie deficiency).  It seems that many of these cases are overlooked.  Understandably, because there is little to treat the malnutrition and the concurrent diseases are first and foremost in the clinicians' mind.  Malaria, HIV, pneumonia, to name a few. 

We just received 50 cases of Plumpy'Nut, which is a high calorie, high protein paste that comes in a foil packet.  The supply of this supplement is not consistent, but now that we have it, we are using it!

The packets contain about 500 calories and 13 g of protein.  It also has some Vitamin A and Vitamin C.  The nursing staff and clinicians have been very supportive and the patients are receiving and consuming the correct dose. 

Many procedures are different here, not the least is the language.  As allied health professionals, Mark and I have been at a bit of a disadvantage, because we need to interview the patients to determine the correct treatment.  We often use the clinician as an interpreter, and that slows them down,

For example, this morning on rounds, I spoke with a newly delivered mom of a small weight for gestational age baby.  The baby was nursing well, the mom's diet contained sufficient protein and calories, therefore, no intervention needed.  Yippee! 

For another case, I had an interpreter.  The mom was HIV positive and looked malnourished.  The baby was small, and not feeding as well as we would like.  I prescribed 3 packets of Plumpy'Nut for the mom.  This way, she will have sufficient protein and calories to produce high quality breast milk in sufficient quantities.  It was a great experience to be able to counsel patients about their diet and feel like I wasn't rushed.  I felt like the patient received good info and I was able to assess their compliance. 

Tomorrow I will give a short inservice to the medical staff on how and when to prescribe Plumpy'Nut.  I know the staff were stunned when I prescribed Plumpy'Nut for a mom, and not the baby! 

Just a few more days before we leave the hospital and go on another safari.

Then back to the US for Mark and I on the 29th.

No comments:

Post a Comment